View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 09:22 AM
Jonathan Sterling

It was 1990 or 91 that Gloria Rothstein put on the first East Coast National at the White plains convention center. It has I believe been held every year since. The managment team that has the new National contract has been running the White plains show for a number if years now.
As for corporate booths I can say the contrast between the 2016 AC National and the 2022 National was stark. A much larger chunk of the floor was used for Corporate spots. There was a large group of folks touting software pagages for tracking card prices. So now a collector has at least 10 different ways to track on a sale by sale basis the most current data on their collection. I saw very little interest in these booths. But I do know that one or two of them seem to have some traction. But I definitely see these booths shrinking in the next few years.
Another group that grew was TPG's. PSA was far and away the busiest. But I had a small order graded by CSG / CCG and I was happy with the service and thought their grades were tough but consistent. PSA shutting down orders created space for these new players and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
As for cards I think 2022 had more high end cards for sale than 2016 accross the board. Great early cards ( Anyone who visited SB1's table will agree) T206's 30's cards were a little light but Ruth's Gehrigs Dimaggio Williams etc. Were available. Alot of 50's through 70's esp the major rookie cards and alot of Mantles, Alot.
Overall 2022 was a better show than 2016 but the prices were significantly higher accross the board.
So hobby looked healthy esp if the young folks stick around past college. And I saw Thousands of collectors enjoying themselves.
New blood in managment I am sure will try and put best foot forward next couple of years so should be fun..
J