Thread: Money and Cards
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 12:30 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Do you use card sales money to finance your pick ups and purchases, or are you simply successful or otherwise inherently wealthy?
I guess my answer to this is: Neither.

I don't sell cards to buy more. And I'm definitely not inherently wealthy. I guess depending on the parameters you could define me as "successful" because I have a good career and no debt, but with two college age kids I don't have much spare income for hobbies.

So my method is to save up for cards I want and/or slowly build sets on a small budget. It will take me years to build a set that some members here would build in a couple months. But that's OK...I enjoy picking up commons and low dollar cards every once in awhile while saving up for a big one.

That is one downside of the recent surge in prices. Some of the cards I was planning on saving up for are currently out of reach. If the set has Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, Gherig, etc. in it, it's likely I won't able to complete it now if I don't already have that big card. But I'm still buying the occasional common card from a set I like because who knows what the future brings. Maybe prices drop, maybe I have more disposable income in the future, who knows.

But for now it's just a slow and steady hobby.