View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 08:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHoneyToast View Post
Hey guys!

T206 / T218 collector here and dad of 2 young boys…

I had this grand idea of researching baseball players from the pre war or vintage era, (call it 70’s or earlier) of players that have my sons names (James & Will) who were also men of character and integrity in the game of baseball. The earlier the card, the better.

The thought is to take time and find a nice card for each of them to pass down to them when they are old enough to appreciate cards- would be fun for them to be inspired by a great baseball player of integrity with their name. At this point I am just researching and don’t have a budget in mind but open to ideas! I have a few years before they come of age… they are 3 and 1 1/2

Any ideas on names or how to research properly? Looks like SABR is a good starting place…

I do want to pass on all my cards to them eventually, but this would be an intentional card given to each son well before that. Has anyone done something similar? Thanks!

Matt

Here's one possibility: William Henry James

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/bill-james/

Ace of the Miracle Braves of 1914; WWI Vet; married to the same woman for over 50 years.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente