View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 09:13 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't know either but the ears, usually a telltale sign, don't look to be the same.
I'd agree if this were a photo however since it is a painting, perhaps based on Sam sitting for the portrait, the accuracy of such details may be lacking or even purposely inaccurate for sake of completing quickly or even desire to change ears, nose, etc. In low confidence I do believe it to be a portrait of Sam with a decent but far from perfect likeness. I totally agree with Frank & Keith. For me, the main question is whether this is an authentic painting dating to late 19th century.

This painting will realize far more if the seller/consignor/auction house seeks professional opinion on date. Maybe you cannot piece together provenance but knowing the painting dates to late nineteenth to early twentieth century and hasn't been touched up (confirm the Dauvray Cup pendant isn't a late add) would help those with interest to offer or bid higher sums of money in confidence. It would certainly impact any offer I would make.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 07-09-2022 at 09:24 AM.