View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 07:52 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
The seller is asking $75,000. Does that seem like a crazy price for this? I’m sorry I don’t have more details about the history.
This is just my opinion:

Unknown artist, unknown provenance, and alot of work needed to restore it . $75,000 is way too much.
For all you know, he could have bought it at a yard sale, had someone paint the Dauvray Cup Medal on it and then claim it’s a portrait of some obscure Hall of Famer. Also even if you know the artist and the provenance at that price , it would behoove you to find someone who could examine the painting in person and give you an appraisal.

There’s a museum in Detroit with a sizeable baseball card collection. You may want to contact them and ask if they know anything about this painting and/or know anyone who can appraise this for you.

If you think you can do this by yourself, Here’s some advice (and you can take it worth a grain of salt): Think of all the bad eggs in our hobby. Multiply that number by 2000 and it’ll still underestimate the amount of fraudsters in the art world.

Last edited by EddieP; 07-08-2022 at 08:19 AM.