View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 04:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Would like to see Irvin get some love from collectors. Maybe after Mays' HBO documentary comes out.

There was a nice write-up about Irvin after he passed in 2016.

As it points out, Irvin was 30 by the time he finally got a chance to play in the Majors in '49, after a great career in the Negro Leagues. Unfortunately, after a strong year for the Giants in '51 when he lead the league in RBIs and finished 3rd in MVP, he fractured his ankle sliding into 2nd, causing him to miss most of the '52 season and hindering his MLB career.

He was a mentor to Willie Mays, and along with Hank Thompson, formed the first all black outfield. RMY had an amazing picture of them in their most recent auction.
Is it possible you could copy and paste that article as it asks to join the NY Times when I go to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I have been a fan of Monte Irvin for decades. One reason was his mentorship of Willie Mays. One of my first old cards was a 1954 Topps Monte Irvin. Here's a photo of Willie Mays, Lou Chiozza and Hank Thompson in Memphis in the early 1950s.
Unfortunately, the only card (decal) Monte and Willie are on together is the 1952 Star Cal decal.
And it also doesn't look like there is card available, despite the 3 of them being the first AA's ever to play in the outfield together, of Monte, Willie and Hank.