View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 04:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
The Leafs were released in 1949, despite the cards listing a 1948 copyright on their back. The 1948 Bowmans were released in 1948.

This means that Ralph Kiner, Phil Rizzuto, Stan Musial, and Warren Spahn’s 1948 Bowman cards are these players’ true rookie cards.

Because the Leafs were issued in 1949 (not 1948), this also means that Jackie Robinson and Satchel Paige’s 1949 Bowman cards have co-rookie card status with their 1949 (not 1948) Leaf counterparts.

Nonetheless, the majority still consider the Leaf 1948 (and not 1949) cards and co-rookie cards for Kiner, Rizzuto, Musial, and Spahn. This will not change any time soon.

It really doesn’t matter for me. The Leafs should trade at a premium to the 1948 Bowmans. The Leafs were the first post-WW2 color issues, and are beautiful. The 1948 Bowmans are drab. At the end of the day - who cares?!
Rizzuto is in 1941 Double Play. Why isn't that his RC?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.