View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 01:48 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Since I am not very knowledgeable about most sets outside of Old Judges let me restrict my answers to that set. These answers may differ somewhat from the book because of new finds or just because my views have changed over the last 14 years.

Most Overrated—-Anson in Uniform—It is a rare card by most standards (4 or 5 known) but not by Old Judge standards. There are hundreds of poses in the Old Judge set, including those of HOFers, that are as scarce or scarcer.

Most Underrated—Any Player’s League card. These cards are genuinely rare and document an important time in baseball history. The fact that these cards represent only four of the eight Player’s League teams illustrates the cessation of card production following the formation of the American Tobacco Company in early-1890, an act that eliminated the need to include costly purchase inducements in cigarette packs.

Favorite—N173 Ewing portrait. This beautiful pose is only known on a unique N173.

Least Favorite—I love the set so this is a tough question. If I have to pick something it would probably be any Tommy McCarthy card Not that I have anything against McCarthy but he clearly does not belong in the HOF and there are many more deserving players in the set who will never be enshrined..

Last edited by oldjudge; 05-14-2022 at 01:49 PM.