View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 12:23 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I agree, and, Bob, one other factor has been the greatest generational transfer of wealth ever to current baby boomers, putting them in the ideal position to chase those'52 Topps Mantle cards.
Thanks John, LOL. I just wish I had gone for some of the bigger cards, like a '52 Topps Mantle, much earlier in my collecting days. I'll likely never complete a '52 Topps set now because I can't justify in my own mind to spend what it would take to buy that Mantle now. Just like there's a lot of other sets I'll probably never finish as well now because I didn't get the Jackson/Cobb/Wagner/Ruth/etc. card before the recent price surge during the pandemic.

I am a Baby Boomer, and fully understand (and appreciate) the economic growth that has come to my generation. But in all fairness, most of us did tend to work our asses off to get to where we are today. Could always be better off, but most certainly could be a heck of a lot worse off as well. Having collected some rare, as well as many, many, many more common items, gives one the appreciation for what one has and collected over the years. I still enjoy occasionally opening an old box or binder and going through it, and rediscovering something I forgot I even had. Keeps the joy of collecting alive, at least for me.

Last edited by BobC; 05-13-2022 at 05:10 PM.