View Single Post
Old 05-07-2022, 06:20 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Net54 Retirees....tell us how Retirement has influenced your hobby activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Ted, did you go to radar school at CThat is where I went to Weather Observer, Rawinsonde (upper air, weather balloons) and Weather Forecasting schools. The Air Force and the Navy go to weather schools together, to this day. Now they go to Keesler AFB, Biloxi, Mississippi since Chanute closed.

And I am guessing you were stationed at Loring AFB in Maine? I went to forecasting school at Chanute with an Air Force sergeant named Dennis Flanagan, who was at Loring before coming to school at Chanute. He and I went to White Sox games at old Comiskey Park on weekends when we could. It was only 100 miles or so to Chicago from Rantoul up I-57.

The photo of me in the "Cracker Jacks" dress blues was taken at Chanute AFB in 1983. It is a real WW2 uniform, and I still have it. It is very dark blue wool, not black like today. The reason I am wearing my white hat like that is because that is how they wore them in WW2. The photo of me as an officer was made in San Diego not long before I retired in 2007.

Thank you for YOUR service.
James

You and I have a "double coincidence" here......

Ten months of my 1st year in the Air Force was going to Radar school in Rantoul (IL). The 2nd coincidence is my 1st tour of duty was associated with the Weather Service of the
Air Force.
I was stationed at Dow AFB in Bangor, Maine. I was responsible for operating....maintaining....repairing the Radar sets on this Strategic Air Command base that were associated
with the Weather Squadron. As a side consequence, I learned a lot about weather forecasting.
I am sure we could go on comparing notes regarding our Service that would fill several pages here. But, I will leave it with this......the smartest thing I did was enlist. The many
experiences, and meeting my wife in Maine has made it all worthwhile.

You look great in your Navy uniforms.

TED Z

T206 Reference