View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
"Mistakes" ?

C'mon. If someone had a typo on a $200 card, fine. That is a simple mistake.

But to bury and gloss over a PSA 8 Goudey Gehrig? WTF? It's either lack of expertise, or a blunder in someone's chosen profession.
The placement seems to be moderately random, or at least their categorization scheme escapes me. Reminds me a lot of Hunt. Still, there are period pieces all around that auction lot number, including Ruth and Joe Jackson cards. So really don't know what was going on there, but I seldom follow Goldin auctions closely.

As for complaints about the lack of description, I consider those to be just whining. How many threads have we seen where people bitch about the lengthy, overly verbose descriptions that "exude" the "dripping color" and "razor-sharp" qualities of some "pristine specimen" and ask that they just be shown a large clear scan with a note of any flaws that might be difficult to see. This is a PSA 8 card of an all-time great player from a rather commonly seen set. If someone doesn't know what the hell they're looking at with this card and can neither calculate possible value or know who to ask/where to look, I have zero sympathy and would suggest they not bid.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.