View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Taking a break from packing people's winnings and revisiting this thread (I swear, I'll get right back to it):

Tough to speak for other Ahs on this, but we lot things together in ways I feel are logical and sensible, but I'm sure there are times that someone who wants one item in a lot may feel differently. Tough to be all things to all people in this regard.

I'm not sure they don't. I certainly do. I've got a handful of people I text regularly with photos of things in areas where I'm not certain. I would think that they all do. If I'm looking for info on a certain type of item, and I call Expert B, it's possible Expert A might think I ignore experts.

A couple of points on this:

1) It's really difficult to write descriptions of a thousand cards without feeling like you're writing the same thing over and over. There are only so many ways to describe the attributes of a card, and every consignor rightfully wants some verbiage explaining why someone should be interested in placing a bid. I know when I'm writing I get very self-conscious about doing it. At some point, invariably I'll use a lot description to point out a stat, or tell a story about a player.

2) I'm not sure why this rankles a lot of folks here so much, but I think it's important to consider that the audience is sometimes wider than just the experts. If you're already familiar with that player (as so many folks here are), it might seem redundant to have to read about the accomplishments of Frank Robinson, or Rube Waddell, or whomever - but with thousands of potential bidders, it's safe to say that not everyone is as familiar as you might be. Especially now, with so many new folks entering the hobby. It's certainly easy enough to skip over them. I do agree that some of the descriptions get a bit verbose and dwell on the obvious, and I personally try not to do it, but once in a while even I will go back and read one of my own descriptions and feel, like...wow.

-Al
Personal experience, I sent Al a group of 20-25 cards for his recent auction, low grade E98's mostly. I was really impressed with his groupings, I'm a big sales guy and I love watching other people work in their field of expertise, so my reply was always "sounds good to me". I trust Al implicitly and enjoy watching he and his family work their craft. This business is too emotional for me and I tend to give cards away so thank you Al for taking care the card decisions and getting me top dollar for my consignments.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 04-08-2022 at 04:47 AM.