Thread: eBay vault
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 04:15 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
But is the Ebay vault in a tax-free state that will allow buyers to circumvent taxes? And has anyone else ever had the thought of what would happen if one of these vaults, or PSA, or SGC's buildings ever had a fire?
Ebay's US headquarters are in San Jose, CA, definitely not a tax friendly state. And San Jose is in Santa Clara County, that has a sales tax rate of 9.875%. Yikes, that's near the top sales tax rate in the country, which may be in Tennessee with an average overall state sales tax rate of almost 10%. California's average rate is 8.618%, but as noted, much higher where Ebay's headquarters are.

So, assuming Ebay wouldn't be dumb enough to put their vault somewhere with an almost 10% sales tax rate, where do you all think they put it?

The five states with no sales taxes are; Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. I don't see Alaska or Montana being in the running, due to their being out of the way and more remote. Not feeling too strongly for New Hampshire either, sort of a gut feeling. If they do open their vault in a non-sales tax state, I think it comes down to Delaware or Oregon, and I'm leaning towards Delaware, if I were a betting man. Curious to hear what others may think. and why.

Last edited by BobC; 03-10-2022 at 06:22 PM.