View Single Post
Old 03-05-2022, 01:53 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Guess I was thinking of this set for the high number of my range:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25533367593...p2047675.l2557

Since the 72 set is one of my favorite sets, I tend to pay more attention to those sales.

Not sure I remember midgrade 72 sets a year ago consistently selling for more than $1500. Possibly a few did.

Still, the buyer of this $3k midgrade 72 set probably still got a bargain at $3k. Based on my own recent experience, I broke a near high number midgrade run, less the top 15 cards for around $1500. The whole midgrade run likely sells for $1800-2k pieced out. For someone piecing the set together card by card, if s/h average $3 a card, it would cost almost $400 in s/h alone for the just the high #s.

I'm pretty sure my 72 set has doubled in value over the past year. Early last year the APR on my set was around $13k, up to almost $25k as of today.
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...lishedset/3092

I would argue that increase is likely due to grading costs of commons and the reduced supply of commons.
I should've specified that I couldn't speak for what high-grade registry sets like yours have done during that time (was only referring to the typical raw or mostly raw set) That looks amazing. But I still think that person who paid 3000 could've done a good bit better (based on all those comps I quoted from the last three months). Your ebay link won't come up though.

Like you said though, the '72 has a lot of breakup value versus what people pay for it complete (even if they don't get a very good price). Those highs add up so quick for a '70s set. Mine isn't in the same universe as your PSA 8 registry bonanza, but even in the raw ex-mt/nr mt it's in, the underlying value still packs a punch

Last edited by cardsagain74; 03-05-2022 at 02:00 AM.