View Single Post
Old 03-04-2022, 05:16 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Does anybody else question the OP's premise that "complete sets are regularly cheaper than the equivalent summed singles pricing"? I've never purchased a complete set, so I don't have a lot of relevant experience, but my recollection of the half-a-dozen-or-so instances where Mile High has run auctions that allowed bidding on the individual cards and the set is that the set won more often than not. My memory could be wrong, but I certainly remember "winning" a lot of individual cards only to be trumped by the high set-bidders.
He's right. I've been really involved in putting together a post-war run of vintage baseball sets in the last couple years, and it's usually more cost-efficient to buy them complete. Often not even that close.

There are a some exceptions ('64, '74, and especially '81 Topps come to mind), but not many. With individual star cards and partials in such demand, it doesn't take much for the pieces to cost more than the whole.

Especially when you have really expensive cadillac cards or high numbers for a set's era