View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 10:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Just like the 33 Ruth and 52 Mantle aren’t true rookies but I wasn’t here to argue with Burdick about what was set as what. I mean the guy literally wrote the book so what’s up with the RC designations. It’s never been a secret but no one cares he played in 26’ unless it’s a collector like one of us.

Tell me that Ruth and Gehrig did not have bad blood. We all know that’s bs about Ruth. There’s a reason a man like Gehrig abstained from being associated with him. Great stat info about Ruth but he still played longer. If he was any better they would have played him sooner rather than keeping him a pitcher right? Just don’t think Ruth deserves the attention he gets. Neither do those fools you mentioned in the end of your post.
I don't think Burdick wrote the book on RC designations. Maybe you are thinking of Beckett? And regardless of who (mis)labeled it, we know better now. As for no one caring about 1926: an SGC 3 1926 Exhibit Ruth just sold for $12,600, so I guess someone cares.

Bad blood between Ruth and Gehrig is meaningless. Lots of co-workers don't like each other. So what? It happens. Doesn't make one better than the other.

As for the statistical argument, well, that just ignores the facts. Ruth was a HOF caliber lefty who happened to be so valuable that he set the template for playing both field and pitcher, then was too valuable playing every day to leave as a pitcher and part-time position player.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-17-2022 at 10:53 PM.