View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 05:27 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
Not picking a side here but I have always felt that the capital that ownership has invested/ at risk is underappreciated. Of course, most have large unrealized capital gains in these franchises but it is still a very large amount of capital tied up in the "business" nonetheless. That capital could be deployed in infinite other productive assets. By comparison, players have nothing invested other than their talent -- which has no comparative value outside of baseball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That is true, but do we, the fans pay to see the owners or the players?

I think also, realistically speaking, Teams nowadays aren't really used as a single source of income, as they once were. I am sure there are exceptions to this, but most of the owners, especially the ones that have entered the sport in recent years, are ones that are already established Billionaires. I think we're more likely to see the Steve Cohen, Art Moreno types rather than someone like Bill Veeck.

This also fuels my point concerning teams being competitive, and what the players are complaining about. The current luxury tax system allows the money to be redistributed to teams with lower payrolls, and the owners are simply just allowed, to pocket the money, rather than fielding a competitive team. Bob Nutting, who is worth over One Billion Dollars is a prime example of this. And While undoubtedly I'm sure some players, prefer to play under the lights of Chicago, NY, Boston or LA, He is perfectly capable of offering Carlos Correa or Freddie Freeman a fat contract, but chooses not to because he'd rather line his pockets.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.