View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 04:14 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
As far as I know, removing the card from its sealed holder would void any guarantee it might have had before removal. It's analogous to cracking a PSA/SGC card out of its case.

I mostly agree with this stance; however, I'm hopeful they'll make exceptions for cards sent (still sealed, of course) to third party graders.

Perhaps a cottage industry will spring forth wherein a bulk submitter will examine the eBay seal - before inspecting the card for authenticity - before removing the seal - before submitting the card to PSA. (nothing could possibly go wrong with that, right?)
Hi Eric,

I understand about breaking something out of a holder would void a guarantee and so on. I was thinking more of the person that wants to put the raw card in a binder, or do something else with it. Also, wasn't that card being listed by the seller in that same screwdown holder on Ebay? So does that mean you get your card locked into whatever holder the seller sends it to the authentication company with? So what if the holder has scratches or glue/tape on it, or it's not in a rigid holder? You as the buyer apparently have no say/choice in the matter of how you then want to protect and display the card, unless you're willing to throw away the authenticity guarantee. My point is for now it may be okay because you're not paying for the authentication service, but once someone does have to start paying for it, I would think they may want to be able to retain that authenticity guarantee they are paying for, and also use/display the raw card they're also paying for, as they wish. Or is it possibly a calculated and well thought out move on the part of Ebay to make it so most buyers will want to break/remove the authenticity guarantee tape/seals, and thereby let Ebay off the guarantee going forward? They offer the service for free now, to test it out and then hopefully build up acceptance and desire by everyone to want it. And then later on start charging for it, thereby creating another Ebay revenue stream, but knowing at the same time that a very large portion of those using the service will most likely void the guarantee upon receipt of the card(s) by the buyer, and their breaking the card(s) out of whatever holder the seller originally put it/them in.