Thread: ESPN Top 100
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
...and to that point....and as I stated....there was a definite lull in talent from 2010 to 2019. How many hitters from that time frame are in the Top 100?

I know Harper.

Pujols and Cabrera were already on their downswings by then. Trout is a very good player, but way over-hyped, and benefited from lack of other Top players when he was playing. I mean he's beating Cano, Brantley, Donaldson, Nelson Cruz out for the MVP, c'mon.

And if you say Betts & Altuve.....I'll say ok, I'd probably take both over Trout......I like their jewelry too.

Trout ain't Top 30 all time, sorry. And looking again at the list not probably not Top 40.

So answer the question. Is he too high (or low) ranked at 15? Where would you put him?
First point, Trout was playing great in 2021 when he went down. He was hitting .333 and I think his other stats were quite good too. So it's not at all correct to say he was pushed down by an influx of talent. You are confusing a mostly-missed year due to an injury with a fall off in performance. I don't think we can call a decline yet.

Second, as to where I would rank him, I acknowledged he's getting a bit of a boost for projected future performance. If his career ended today, would I rank him 15? No. But based on his dominance over the 2010s, MVPs, advanced metrics, probably 25 or so.

Betts or Altuve over Trout? No way lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-10-2022 at 04:04 PM.