Thread: Priced Out?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 03:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
I like this advice. I had several friends who put all of their savings into the S&P over a 10-12 year period and all of them retired between the ages of 38-42. They then moved out of the country and traveled the world. They never married or had kids which helped, but the power of the US markets is unbelievable. Its a boring, non-sexy investment style but it works.
Yeah, kids will do you. I figure mine has cost me about half a million dollars, post-tax, including college and grad school. Wouldn't change a thing but it will keep me working an extra 20 years to make up for it. Plus I had to liquidate a lot of cards and not buy others when it looked like medical school was on the horizon, which probably cost me six figures in missed appreciation during the run-up. Fortunately, she did some clinical volunteer work and discovered she's a misanthrope like her old man, so a 'caring' profession involving four years of school at $70K per wasn't in the cards.

"Once my kids leave the house, I'll finally be able to do what every man is supposed to. I can watch TV. I can... well, I don't know but it doesn't matter. It's still better than having a screaming, crapping, money-sucking little vampire bobsledding me to the graveyard."--Al Bundy

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-02-2022 at 03:57 PM.