Thread: Priced Out?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 07:30 PM
James M.

We've seen a number of these threads pop up within the past couple of years, my two cents is as follows:

I'm happy our Hobby is doing well, I'm happy there is interest in it, and I'm glad that those who make a living off the hobby are doing well for themselves. It does sting a little bit when you see some of these prices if you're on any sort of fixed income though.

I think another point that isn't addressed enough concerns the time each of us have in the Hobby. In my opinion, it's very easy for someone who collected in the 1970's to say how the rising prices are just the nature of things, when Ruth's, Gehrigs, Cobbs, Wagners, Mantles, Mathewson, etc I can go on, were available for penny's on the dollar in comparison to today. For argument's sake lets say a 33 Goudey Ruth, literally any one of them, was 100 Dollars in 1975, if you adjust for inflation, that card would be $700 today. We all know that isn't the case with the current prices.

I wasn't alive in the 1970's or 80's for that matter, unfortunately. So I can't say "well I regret not hoping on that ship" because that's impossible. I love card collecting, I love this hobby, I will continue to do it for a long time, but it's disheartening at times. I can't help the fact I wasn't physically living when the prices on these cards were a bit more reasonable for the average Joe.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.