View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 08:19 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Default Who are your Inner Circle Hall of Famers?

I think the general hobby consensus is that cards of the inner circle hall of famers are most likely to appreciate in value. These are the guys who are always included in the "best ever" lists, and are generally famous enough to be known to non-baseball fans. There's always a great debate over who is an inner circle guy, and who is a "regular" hall of famer. Johnson, Ruth, Mays, Aaron, Robinson, and Cobb are obvious inner circle players. I think Gehrig, Mantle, Clemente, and Cy Young are a step behind, but are probably included on most lists.

The next tier is the one that's interesting to me. Is Wagner an inner circle guy, or is he Tris Speaker with a famous baseball card (and is that significant enough to keep him among the inner circle)? Does Mathewson miss the cut because he wasn't as good as Walter Johnson? Does Satchel Paige's Negro League fame overcome the obstacles placed in front of him? Joe DiMaggio had a great career, but was it long enough (I will accept arguments that Marilyn Monroe tips the scales in his favor)? Same question for Koufax (albeit minus Marilyn Monroe)? Are Ted Williams and Warren Spahn's obvious talents enough to overcome the years lost to military service? Does Barry Bonds make the list?

Who are the "fringe" guys you would include on your inner circle list? How many players are on your list?