View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 03:37 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Bob C., really appreciate your ongoing clarification of the tax law. Something to think about when we go to sell our long-time collections. I think most guys want to be law-abiding, its just tough to figure out when we can net expenses, what forms to fill out, etc.

I always hated that my Paypal 1099-K INCLUDED dollars collected for sales tax that were NEVER PAID to me - ebay collected the tax that the buyer paid, yet it shows up on my 1099!!! Ahhhg! What a mess...

So I should pay income tax or capital gains on the sales tax ebay collected??!!?
Quick answer is you get to deduct the sales tax if included on the 1099-K, along with also being able to deduct the Ebay fees you paid, assuming they were included as part of the 1099-K reported income as well. You get to deduct the direct costs related to the sales of your cards, along with your cost basis in the cards sold, regardless of whether or not you report the sales as a dealer, investor, or a collector. You are potentially able to deduct a lot more business related expenses, but only if you file as a dealer operating a business.