View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 04:13 PM
Kyle May

Thank you to everyone for the kind words! And thank you Brian (whom posted above) for making this whole thing happen. Amazing gesture to be willing to move the Hartley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
A story like this underscores how challenging the hobby is when looking for a rare card of a lesser known player like Hartley, particularly from a set like Standard Biscuit. But that is what makes the chase so much fun and the reward so great when the quest is realized.
Any personal family ties to Hartley?
My grandpa (1940) and great uncle (1939) played a season each for the Findlay Oilers, a minor league team (Class D I believe) in the St. Louis Browns system. Grover Hartley was the manager of the team both years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Grover Hartley had an unusual career from 1911-1934.

During his prime years from age 28 to 35, he played double AA ball with Columbus.

At one point the St Louis Browns bought him in a deal that included Bob Groom, Mordecai Brown and Eddie Plank.

He had only 1500 major league at bats in his 24 year playing career.

Sort of reminiscent of another second string catcher named Mo Berg.
I had no idea about the trade he was involved in. Those are some big names! His career was unusual, but fascinating. The list of players/personnel he was surrounded by throughout his career is quite incredible. Jim Thorpe, Christy Mathewson, Rube Marquard, John McGraw, Roger Bresnahan, etc. I wish my grandpa were still alive, because I didn't get into Pre War until after his death. I have so many questions I want to ask him. Imagine the stories Grover Hartley told him and the team.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame