View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 08:23 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Tell me again how this is in any way a hobby.

You said it yourself, it's an investment asset class.

I am in the insignificant minority. I do care about the cards. Only the cards. I'll create an investment portfolio some other way.
I'm with you. I'd happily welcome all cards permanently costing a small fraction of what they do today; I'd love them just as much, and be able to own and enjoy more.

I'm not drawn to a card because of its potential future value— yet that is the primary reason behind most card purchases I see today on social media (which is admittedly societal poison), especially outside the very collector-centric cyber halls of Net54.

What I find sadly amusing is that we see guys on social media trumpeting high prices, but if you love cards and collecting, the value of cards you love and never want to sell is totally moot. That's money a collector never wants to see, because he never wants to sell. So the high prices only have one actual effect in reality on a collector, namely we have to shell out way more cash to acquire anything new. Or we have to sell pieces when we add a new one. So I don't see how rising prices are good for a collector who is not obscenely wealthy. Now if someone is super wealthy, of course it's to their advantage that everything desirable rises to a level where only they can afford it. To them the cash is nothing and they can just scoop everything up.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-21-2021 at 08:31 AM.