View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 10:31 PM
Tim Odeen

I didn't have a collecting buddy. No friend, or family member. However, my mom collects milk glass, goes antiquing, quilts, etc. She understands the search and the purchase. She told me "when you see an item that you haven't seen before, buy it because you might not see it again." My father doesn't really collect, but he collects memories. He gets these through family trips and nostalgia / pictures. I picked up a love of family history from him.

My parents endulged me. They never bought me anything extravagant. Maybe if I was collecting vintage at age 10 they would have bought me lower priced cards, but I wanted Griffey cards then. They bought hobby boxes for xmas presents, took me to local auto signings (used to have 1 per year, now its nada), and even took me to the 2001 All Star Fanfest in Seattle (closest thing to a National I've ever been too).

Now that I have my own job, and I'm older, the relationship isn't the same because they aren't involved. They aren't as excited because I can essentially get whatever I want on Ebay. My wife doesn't find any enjoyment in it.

But! My son has shown interest... in hockey cards! Lol. So I'm interested in starting a single player collection with him. I'm going to push him toward Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, but I'm sure he will want Crosby or Ovechkin. Go Kraken!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo