View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 11:18 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

The results of my Bullets Championship Pennant cleaning.

Ultimately I ended up soaking it but in a suboptimal (not laid out flat) way. That was the last soak I did and ended up doing that a couple of times yesterday.

While the blue border took the brunt of the cleaning, I am overall very pleased with the end result. I actually was not paying attention to the fading of the blue border and this is fixable if I choose to do so in the future.

The events follow:

You can see from the first picture how ugly this thing is.

I took a spray bottle and added Oxy Clean to hot water and commenced to drowning it rather liberally front and back. The first time I rinsed it after the cleaning it has a horrible stink to it. That went away after a few rinse-clean cycles.

It was getting clean but not clean enough for me as it seemed that all the gunk was draining down to the tip but never really getting fully clean.

I did the majority of the spraying and cleaning on Friday-Saturday. It got to a point where I had to do something different as it was just not getting completely cleaned.

I ended up using the vat that I used to clean Ernie in and folded (blasphemy I know) the tip over right between the e and the t in bullets. Then gave it two long soaks on Sunday. Around 5PM I inspected the results and was satisfied that I wasn't going to do any additional cleaning at that point. I rinsed it and set it on a couple of towels to dry out overnight.

The border certainly faded but again, I am good with that and can fix it in the future if need be.

Bottom line. I will definitely use my MIL tub next time as I really need that sort of space. I have a Redskins pennant, Super Bowl XVII, that can stand a cleaning and will use the tub for that one for sure.

Last picture shows it next to my regular Bullets pennant. As you can see, the championship one is even brighter than that one. But I won't be cleaning the regular one, it is nice enough as it is.

Now I have to come across a Senators 1924 pennant, I have found a reproduction one and that will more than likely have to do!

Thanks for all the assistance and here are the pictures of the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0544.jpg (63.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0546.jpg (67.4 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0547.jpg (67.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0548.jpg (66.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0550.jpg (72.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0551.jpg (69.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0552.jpg (66.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0554.jpg (72.6 KB, 142 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 12-20-2021 at 11:21 AM.