View Single Post
Old 12-12-2021, 08:22 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Yes, but you'll still have their stupid BIG FAT TEXT LOGO on the image. Only way around it is to pay their laughable price as he said.

What I don't understand is how so much public domain stuff is getting snapped up and then sold, at laughable prices.

They actually claim copyright on a significant number of images that are either in the public domain or to which they own no rights. I was talking with the former archivist from the US Olympic Museum a few years ago when they were trying to get my photo archives of U.S. Olympians (20,000 +/- images). The USOC now USOPC (US Olympic and Paralympic Committee) uses photos on their website and in their alumni magazine. Getty sent them a letter claiming that their copyright was infringed upon. The USOC's response was 'we own the negatives' (so pound sand). Getty shut up quickly. That is what bullies do.

Unless it is a photo by a significant photographer or well known photo where the copyright has been renewed I usually rely on the basic rule of 85 years after the image could have first been used in a newspaper/print. It is either 50 or 60 years for Europe.

You may want to browse the Library of Congress photo archives. Very extensive and much, much cheaper. From what I recall all photos have no rights attached. You would just need to credit them if it is used in print. If you see 'LC' next to a photo caption in a book it is one of theirs. The National Archives may also work the same way.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 12-12-2021 at 08:27 PM.