View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 03:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Nice, well-thought out post.

The thing that turns me off about collecting now, is that the "investors" treat it as a zero sum game. They are looking to make money (which is fine) and to do so means that they are always looking to profit from someone else's lack of knowledge. It takes away the camaraderie that used to make collecting so much fun. I recently went into a new card store near the Patriots stadium in Foxboro. The two guys working there didn't even look up at me when I entered (there was no one else in the building). I asked if they had any tobacco cards and got a snarky response about "oh, you mean like the Honus Wagner? No." I turned around and walked right out...

Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find fellow collectors who are willing to just shoot the breeze and talk about the cards that they love.
I agree, personally I enjoy research and positive collectors helping each other, and don’t like the money side. It makes for a healthier, fun time when it’s done this way. It’s tough to find across generations I think, most collectors just want to talk about $$$. I like money because I don’t want to be homeless, I like cards because they take me back to my youth.