Thread: Gil Hodges
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Belle played 10.5 seasons. His career totals pale in comparison to the numerous sluggers of his time. For a guy whose whole argument is peak performance, his black ink is not very high, 28, 1 point over average. He never really deserved an MVP either, another hallmark for short-career-big-peak selections.

I'd vote for Belle, but I see a valid argument against him and would rank him a low-end hall of famer. Whether a player is likable or not seems mostly irrelevant to the Hall. Belle, Kent, Schilling all deserve to be in regardless of what one thinks about their choices outside of baseball, their personalities, or if their political views align with ones own.
So what's dragging down his peak metrics, I see his WAR7 isn't even that impressive despite what certainly APPEAR to be quite a few massive years even in context? He seems to have walked a decent amount, so that doesn't seem to be the drag as it was for guys like Garvey etc.?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-08-2021 at 02:17 PM.