View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 01:53 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

I think an interesting question that is raised both by the article and by some of the responses above is this: what percentage of sports card collectors see themselves primarily as investors, and their collections as an "asset," versus what percentage see themselves as collectors, without primarily valuing their collections as investments?

I know that most everyone who collects cards is cognizant of their value, and I think it would be absurd to think that most aren't. That said, I think there are certainly a significant number of collectors who collect for the sake of collecting. Their cards are not perceived as investments. Their cards are not something they consider when they evaluate their "assets" in terms of retirement, income, liquidity etc. For instance, me. My collection is probably worth an equivalent of 25% of the value of my retirement funds. But I don't particularly care. I don't ever sell, I just buy. Much of what I have, I bought years ago when it was much cheaper. Unlike many folks here, I still buy each year's base Topps product and hand-build sets with my kids simply because it's fun and not because it's efficient or really worth the money I spend. When I die, or when I get tired of the cards, they will be sold. But I'm not banking on them to fund my retirement in any way, nor am I counting on them to fund a vacation home or new sports car. They are just fun for me, regardless of value. I suspect there are a ton of collectors who feel the same way. I would just be interested in knowing what the percentages of both groups are right now.

kevin