View Single Post
Old 07-16-2021, 07:02 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default The National

I treat the National as a vacation, rather than a business trip or a buying trip. Kind of like going to Yellowstone to look at the scenery. Even if I don't find a lot of items to purchase, I enjoy going from table to table to look at the cards and the memorabilia. Many of the dealers like to talk about their items, and it is worth it to spend time listening to their stories. I like to see the various dealer set ups and I like to see the wide variety of inventory that the dealers are selling.

When I went to the National in 2019, I was surprised by the number of dealers who were selling nothing but box after box of 10 cent, 25 cent, and $1 cards. The customers were lined up at these tables and it was nearly impossible to get close enough to start digging. Then, on the next dealers table, you might see a showcase with a couple of dozen T206 Cobb cards.

There were several hundred 1952 Mantles on display through the area. 1000's of T206's. 100's of thousand of 1950's cards. I was searching for cards for my T213 collection and when I asked the dealers if they had some, many of them gave me a blank look - like they didn't know what a T213 was.
I asked dozens of dealers about it and maybe a dozen had some in stock, but none that I needed for my set. Until, I came across a nice young lady in a booth filled with prewar cards and she knew what I was talking about and I bought at nice T213 at a reasonable price.

My point in all of this is to say - "If you have a chance to go and you can afford to go, then, by all means go. You will never regret it."

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 07-16-2021 at 07:03 AM.