View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 04:25 PM
Banned

Default Authenticating 19th century baseball cabinet cards

Hello my name is Shaun and I’m a new member. I’ve stumbled on this site in the past doing Baseball research and was recommended to join when I tried a new lead on authenticating 19th century cabinet cards. I’m sure I’m not alone in the problems I’m running into. I collected cards as a kid in the 80’s and 90’s and moved on to other stuff as an adult that forced me to learn photograph history. I made my way back to cards about 5 years ago and realized the photograph history is very helpful in finding baseball cabinet cards. I picked a couple images of big name players and went about trying to authenticate them. No luck. I was discouraged and gave up for about 3 years. My first son being born lit a fire a little while back and I got back in it. Still the same problem. I’ve contacted the three companies. They pretty much need proof the cards have already been identified as the player by somebody else. I’ve sent scans of players in uniform and they still need 2 sources showing proof it is what it is. With all the money there is in sports collectibles, why isn’t there a company who can authenticate an image. The 3 graders seem to tip toe around the subject. If that aspect is not worth it for them to do, why hasn’t anybody else stepped in. Seems like a lot of money being left on the table. Can anybody give me advice?