View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 09:37 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Although I differ with some of you, I appreciate everyone's opinion posted here.

G1911
American Lithographic printed all the white-bordered and gold-bordered cards (fronts and backs). These sheets were hung up to dry, then cut-up into cards and shipped
to the various Tobacco Factories.
Sheets of cards were NOT shipped to the Factories. Where do you get that from ?

Furthermore, many presses were operating in the process of producing Millions of these Tobacco cards. Stacking sheets of various brands of T206's is a well-known fact,
as we have seen quite a number of "wet-ink-transfers". Simply due to the rush to get these cards cut-down and shipped.

The EPDG impression is very faint, and perhaps my scan isn't sufficient to provide an accurate judgement without closely examining this card. If I come to the National,
I will bring this Rossman card with me for further discussions with you guys.

TED Z

T206 Reference
I am not saying that complete sheets would be shipped to a factory for cutting, I am saying that it doesn't make sense to intersect sheets from different jobs going to different places into one mixed stack. Doing that would create far more work and have to be undone while cutting and then boxing them up for delivery, adding a higher margin of error and effort for no gain.

I am well aware that they used more than a single press, but again, it doesn't make sense to me that they would just carry the sheets from every press over to one spot and stack them intermixed. That would create far more work than simply keeping them separate from the get go. Without direct evidence, I think the safest assumption is generally the simplest.

We have a number of wet ink transfers, but that does not mean they happened at the factory. The E90 Bender with a T206 wet ink transfer above is just one example that some of these are 100% after-production transfers. I don't see any reason to assume this card happened at the factory, when there is an easier explanation.