View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 07:49 AM
John

Default T205 All Hall of Fame Tobacco Brand Team

If you collect 1911 T205 Gold Borders then you probably know there are 11 different tobacco brand backs...American Beauty, Broad Leaf, Cycle, Drum, Hassan, Hindu, Honest Long Cut, Piedmont, Polar Bear, Sovereign and Sweet Caporal.

It is quite a feat for a T205 collector to assemble the subset of 11 backs for this set as the Drum and Hindu backs are extremely rare.

Well how about a T205 subset of 11 different Hall of Famers each with a different example of those 11 tobacco brand backs. When you consider there are only 3 confirmed T205 Hall of Famers with a Drum or Hindu back it would seem to be impossible.

The only confirmed T205 Hall of Famer with a Drum back is Mordecai Brown. The only 2 confirmed T205 Hall of Famers with Hindu backs are Hugh Duffy and Walter Johnson. I doubt the combined card total of all Brown Drum back (SGC pop 4, PSA pop ?), Johnson Hindu back (SGC pop 1, PSA pop ?) and Duffy Hindu back (as far as I know I have the only one confirmed to date) would be more than 20-25 cards.

So in order for someone else to assemble a T205 back subset of Hall of Famers they would currently need to have a Drum back of Brown AND a Hindu back of Johnson.

If we add to that the extra condition of assembling a complete position team of 9...with an extra pitcher and manager in order to fill out the 11 different brand backs...certainly that is not possible, right?

Well, I have that T205 subset...and it is very likely the only one that exists.

I present to you The T205 All Hall of Fame Tobacco Brand Team (8 position players, 2 pitchers and a manager) with each card representing an example of the 11 different tobacco brand backs.

Who should be the starting pitcher...Chief Bender or 3 Finger Brown?

American Beauty - Chief Bender
RHP Philadelphia A's
SGC 1140486-010 60 EX 5

Broad Leaf - Zach Wheat
OF Brooklyn Superbas
Ungraded

Cycle - Joe Tinker
SS Chicago Cubs
PSA 05053003 EX 5

Drum - Mordecai Brown
RHP Chicago Cubs
PSA 04375885 PR-FR 1

Hassan - Roger Bresnahan
C St. Louis Cardinals mouth open
Ungraded

Hindu - Hugh Duffy
MGR Chicago White Sox
Ungraded

Honest Long Cut - Ty Cobb
OF Detroit Tigers
Ungraded

Piedmont - Frank Baker
3B Philadelphia A's
PSA 01734530 VG 3

Polar Bear - Eddie Collins
2B Philadelphia A's mouth closed
PSA 01741370 EX 5

Sovereign - Fred Clarke
OF Pittsburg Pirates
SGC 1140486-009 70 EX+ 5.5

Sweet Caporal - Frank Chance
1B Chicago Cubs
Ungraded

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
[

Last edited by Leon; 05-27-2021 at 08:41 AM.