Thread: Favorite
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 07:38 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesofthegame View Post
It’s the only baseball/card related experience we ever shared. It was a lot of money for my parents to purchase it and started me on the vintage addiction. They may have overpaid for the card but it’s priceless to me.
I am really fascinated how all of the stories are: "My dad helped me buy..." or "My mother surprised me with...."

It's a common theme nearly all of us share.

The All Star game came to Seattle in 2001, and I begged my father to buy tickets to the FanFest so I could attend a card show. The ones in Spokane never wowed me, so I wanted to go to a big city show. I wasn't into vintage yet at that time - I was chasing Ichiro and Pujols rookies. He has told me since that he wished he had bought tickets for the games and card show. I told him "Dad, I have never had any regrets!" He stood in line with me to get autos from the free IP signings for two days! The most popular was Branca and Thomson. We waited forever. On our feet on concrete. We were both super tired at the end of the second day. But that day always shows me how much he loved me. I purchased the 2001 Fleer Traditions box and pulled a Jackie Robinson pant relics card in the convention center. They had Negro League inserts that year. That is perhaps my best insert I ever pulled, and every time I look at it I think of my dad.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo