View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 01:14 PM
Val Kehl

Thomas Boswell is the dean of DC's sports columnists. His column in Today's Wash. Post is about Bob Gibson - here's the link to it for anyone who cares to read it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ll-bob-gibson/ I think card collectors will especially enjoy these last couple of paragraphs from Boswell's piece:

"This has been a tough year on my childhood baseball cards as well as my adult memories: Al Kaline, Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Don Larsen, old Senators such as Dick Hyde and characters such as Jay Johnstone, who once tackled his manager, Tommy Lasorda, in a sliding pit in spring training, then led a renegade band of Dodgers in stuffing sawdust into his whole uniform.

When I heard Gibson passed away, I remembered his blazing-pink 1959 Topps rookie card, No. 514. I searched in my old shoe boxes of cards and almost gave up. Then I realized I had made it the very first card, in the first row of the first box in its own plastic case — a singular place of honor.

Just where it should have been."

I, too, still have my Gibson's 1959 Topps RC that I pulled from a pack when I was a kid. I'd show it, except that I can't because it's not scanned and it's sitting in my safe deposit box.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.