View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF Paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
Feel free to move this to post-war, but I wanted the widest possible range of opinions.
I bought this card many years ago when completing my 1948 ('49) Leaf set thinking I would replace it later. Yeah, right. My question is: What percentage of value of a "normal" Leaf Paige in SGC 50 (4) would you place on this card?
I've asked a few people and gotten answers ranging from 20% to 200%. Clearly the answer lies somewhere in between. Does anyone have an opinion?
BTW the glaze over Slaughter's name is some sort of damage to the slab, not the card.

Hi riggs336

There are three factors which could drive the market value of your 1949 LEAF Paige card to "big $$$$$" that will surprise you.

1st....As you already know, Paige ranks very high as the most scarcest card regarding major BB sets issued in post WWII era.

2nd....Given that, collectors completing their 1949 LEAF set will go to extremes to acquire this Paige (regardless of condition).
So, your Paige having a wrong back is really immaterial in this matter.

3rd....The 1949 LEAF Paige is his true Rookie card (in a Major League uniform), as it was issued in the Summer of 1949.
The 1949 BOWMAN Paige was issued in the Fall of 1949.

I've been offered mega $$$$$ for my Paige. I acquired this card in 1982 in a trade amounting to only $200. I don't really know
what it would grade at. Perhaps, VgEx to Ex (anyhow, I don't care, since I will not sell it).

TED Z

T206 Reference