View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 07:41 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the Mantle having a certain mystique that other cards - especially modern - completely lack (1950s and up).

It's surprising many on here are stating it's a card they don't care to own when it's value dictates that it's the hands-down most desirable of all post war cards, and arguably one of if not THE most venerated card in existence (Wagner aside). It's the type of item that transcends baseball card collecting and registers as a cultural icon befitting the greatest specimens of Americana.

I think it has to do with the lore of Mantle. You had an entire generation of people who revered him as a god. He was affable, could do everything well, hell his name just screams Americana. A Son of a coal miner from the middle of nowhere that can hit the ball a country mile. Then all of those kids who grew up loving him, pass that love and those stories down to their children and so on. And as the years go on the legend increases. It doesn't surprise me that people go against the grain. Really when you think about it a 52 right now, even a PSA 1 goes for about 9-10 Grand? You can buy a bunch of different cards for that amount of money. Granted the prices seem to be going up but you could still probably buy a T206 Red Cobb and one of the Ruth's cards from 33 Goudey together, for that money.

Last edited by Seven; 07-06-2020 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Clarification.