View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I was watching for someone to post something about this auction, didn't think to look on the memorabilia side. I too was very impressed with the auction offerings.

I bid on four lots, won three. Nothing in the auction was directly within my collecting scope but I couldn't help myself, guilty of scope creep.

Lot #1 - Loved the Civil War tax stamp. A 5 cent tax meant this tintype cost between $0.51 - $1.00 which was a healthy sum for a single photo. The tintype is tinted (green pants) and likely purchased with a frame, both driving cost up (current frame could very well be original to tintype). Most canceled stamps lack a date but this photographer had a cancel stamp much like the post office with a clear March 10th, 1865 cancel. Neat cross-over collectable of early baseball image that can be precisely dated via a legible canceled Civil War tax stamp.

Lot #18 - While advertised as "circa 1869 Cincy", I too had and have some doubts. However, as I studied the 1868-1870 Cincinnati teams I found some of the 1870 uniforms are good match for the "C" but the bibs are not outlined as shown on tintype. This could be a good match for the 1871 uniform had the team not dissolved . . . Nov 1870 newspaper mentions a new traveling uniform for 1871, maybe striped cap? I'm interested enough to keep researching, not sure anything conclusive will turn up. At a minimum, appears to be a well financed club, great looking early uniform. PS - I reversed the image left-to-right to correct the image.

Lot #21 - Not even sure which club this would be but again a great image of a well dressed early player. Success for me on this tintype would simply be to identify possible team(s).

Lot #47 - Jack Ryan - This was the 4th and final tintype of interest but I bowed out. Would have been very different if he were a member of the Detroit Wolverines. I too sent images to auction house on this lot. I didn't know it was Jack Ryan until auction house updated the listing, well done Bryan!

Corey, I believe the same gal who helped me out with phone bids called you at about lot #46 as I recall her saying "hello Corey" and she then put you on hold until Anson came up a few lots later. Great items in this auction, too interesting to pass up.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 07-01-2020 at 08:55 PM.