View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default N284 cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Thanks for the insight, Ted. If you can check your notes for me, that would be great. My primary reason for asking is that with the Allen & Ginter and Goodwin sets being issued in 1888 and many of the N172’s not being issued for the first time until 1888 or later, the Buchner set being definitively dated as 1887 would make it the sole rookie card for some key players such as Cap Anson.

Phil
I checked out my research on the 39 cards I once had. I did not come up with any evidence to indicate that any of these N284 subjects (based
on their team identification) would have been printed & issued in 1888. Of course, this sample is only 28 % of this set's total number of cards.
However, normal probability suggests I would've found at least one guy (out of 39) whose team/timeline could have been 1888....which would
discount the N284 set of cards as a "rookie source".

Furthermore, what complicates this matter are the 3 different Lithograph printers that produced these cards. It may be tough to make the case
that the N284 Anson (or other famous HOFers of that era in this set) are their true rookie cards.

If these cards had bios printed on their backs (like T205's) they would provide us a certain timeline. Regarding a timeline, my guess is the N284
cards were printed & issued circa Fall 1887.

Anyhow, I haven't given up on this set, yet. I will continue studying the team/timeline factor for the remaining 100+ subjects in this set.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 06-21-2020 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.