View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Tough is a relative term. I always think of "tough" meaning the player isn't a fan of signing autographs (i.e., Mays, Griffey Jr.). But it could also mean the accessibility to that player is extremely limited or non-existent, even if they aren't necessarily bad signers (Piazza, Jeter). Mays and Tom Seaver both have medical issues that basically make them impossible to get now, although neither player can be considered rare by any stretch. Tough could also mean that the price for the player to sign is so astronomical that it would dissuade most casual fans from obtaining the signature at a signing (Koufax, Aaron).

I don't really consider any living HOFer "tough" per se, considering even the grumpiest signers are readily available on the secondary market. A guy like Mays who has not been able (or willing) to sign in recent years might be considered truly tough on a later issue card, for example, a 2019 Allen & Ginter, so the specific item could carry a premium as was previously discussed.

In terms of guys I've encountered who are just plain not friendly, my list would be, in no particular order:

Ken Griffey Jr. (though it seems he may be mellowing a bit in recent years)
Willie Mays
George Brett
Rickey Henderson
Eddie Murray
Ted Simmons
Reggie Jackson
Randy Johnson
Hi Derek,
Although admittedly it has been a while since I chased any of these guys for an autograph, I recall:

Eddie Murray & Rickey Henderson never signing for me in public, but both were somewhat cordial. Eddie would always thank me for asking even when he didn't sign. But, Murray singled me out and gave me his wristband after a game in Anaheim on Fathers Day when he played for the Angels at the end of his career. I think that was his way of paying me back for the effort of trying to get his sig several times during that season.

In person, I recall that Steady Eddie had a spirited, fun conversation with me about Nolan Ryan being a "Wolf in sheep's clothing" when he spotted a copy of Nolan's autobiography "Miracle Man" at a paid signing after Murray got his 3,000th hit.

While Randy Johnson was terrible to chase for an autograph during his playing era, I found him to be surprisingly thoughtful and engaging at a MAB paid signing in NJ about 8 years ago.

Although Reggie has been given the label of a terrible signer, I was successful at getting his sig several times while he was a member of the Angels in the 1980's and I also got him at the airport in Dallas in the 1990's. The key with him, as I recall it was to approach him with the right attitude. Although he can be cranky, I have seen him also be very approachable at times, FWIW.