Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Thanks Eddie! You are wealth of racing knowledge. Of the 9 cards shown on your link, I only have Andretti, Foyt, and Bobby Unser. I also have Bettenhousen, Johncock, Kinser, McCluskey, Rutherford, Al Unser, Vukovich, and Walther.

I love a good hunt and you've given me at least 6 more. Thanks for the info!
Wow, when I found that link showing nine cards, I figured those drivers were included in the 11 you have. Wonder how many cards were issued? The Pocono race started 33 cars that year. I had never previously read anything about those cards, nor seen them before.

A couple other points about Johnny Hubbard: Sadly, he was decapitated in the crash that took his life. I read Lew Boyd's excellent book on Dick "Toby" Tobias that came out in 2017. The book makes brief reference to the Hubbard crash. After the crash, Hubbard's car was taken to the Reading infield and left there while the show continued.

Tobias then went and looked at the car to see what had failed structurally. Tobias looked inside the car, then instructed one of his crew guys to get a tarp to cover the car with, saying "No one should have to look at that."

I remember my father saying how sad it was to see Hubbard's personal vehicle sitting alone in the Reading Fairgrounds parking several days after the race.

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-21-2020 at 12:18 AM.