View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 06:24 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
That's a nice looking variation, Greg!

I have been going through many of my 1950s - 60s pennants, and cannot believe the number of subtle color variations that exist. Even the somewhat common "Stadium" pennants can have up to 6 or 7 variations when you look closely. So many of the color combinations are actually quite scarce, if you know what to look for.

Maybe some day, more collectors will know to look for (and appreciate) some of these subtle nuances. If collecting pennants was like collecting cards, many of these rarities would sell for really big bucks. Sometimes I wish the collector base for pennants wasn't so thin, and that these things were more appreciated. But I suppose it's nice that we can still collect them for relatively cheap prices, and without such fierce competition.

Below is one such example of an otherwise common White Sox pennant. The Blue example features a white infield, and white hands and face. The red example features a tan infield, tan hands, and beige face. Both are rare with the colored graphics, as the pennant is normally found with graphics that are just white. Not sure who really cares... but for those who do, there are hundreds of other hidden rarities just waiting to be discovered.
I think we can now say with confidence that those Sox pennants were made by the same company as my favorite early 50s series (same winged sock logo) and check out the Comiskey Park graphic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268318C7-C143-4980-9B83-51A9A9CB50EF.jpg (21.7 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 04-23-2020 at 06:27 PM.