View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 09:59 PM

Totally agree with you guys: none of these were clipped by the consumer.

This fishtail style was, to my knowledge, only used by Trench in 1955. Fishtails aren't unusual as concerns pennants; but, by the 1950s, they weren't real common.

What makes this pennant so unusual is that the spine is covered in real fringe; and the fishtail end is adorned with a faux-fringe that was screen printed on.

And, apparently, the "fishtailing" was done by hand at the factory in Buffalo. It looks to me like they just had someone cut a simple "V" into the end of the pennant; and, that person wasn't real consistent as to how precisely he/she cut into the end of the felt. Additionally, the screen printer may have gotten too close to the edge of the felt ... leaving the cutter little room to play with.

Since this pennant was thrown together at season's end, there probably wasn't time to redo these.

I've definitely seen some pretty clean, symmetrical versions of the blue variant. But even these two below show you how imperfect the cutting was....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (73).jpg (19.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg image (74).jpg (19.9 KB, 211 views)