View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Charles Shear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Speaking of concessioner's marks. This is what they looked like in 1936.
That's a beauty, Rob. I did some research on Charles Shear that I recently included as an update to my piece on Trench Mfg. Co.

Charles Shear came to the US as an immigrant boy. He started a business in New York City under his name that would grow into one of the nation's largest novelty operators. In particular, Shear's business focused on concessions; he sold novelty items at fairs, festivals, concerts, theaters, and of course, ballparks. In that sense, they were similar to Sportservice, another concessionaire that Trench made pennants for.

As with Sportservice, Shear didn't make his own pennants; rather, he just sold them. From the looks of things, he ran the concession operations at nearby ballparks, like Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds, throughout the 1930s. It's no coincidence that most of the pennants tagged with his name involve one of the three New York baseball teams; or, their World Series opponent. I suspect these pennants would have been sold directly at these events.

Back to your pennant. This '36/Yankees AL champions pennant is the earliest professional baseball pennant by Trench that I know of. Trench made similar ones like this into the 1940s and 50s for a variety of other baseball teams; however, most bear no maker's or concessionaire's marks at all (the Chas. Shear concessionaire's mark seems to disappear by the mid-1940s). Most of this series were 9" x 26" in length.

Additionally, this would have been a premium pennant in 1936. Just look at how many different colors the artwork features. Most other pennant makers were making one-color graphic designs. Yours has at least five!