View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 07:11 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

+100. I have seen some of the very most knowledgeable photo guys on this board have spirited debates on dating certain photos. My experience is some photos are very simple to date and others are difficult and others are next to impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
I have tremendous respect for Rhys and RMY Auctions, and encourage all photo enthusiasts to support his great auctions! However, I do have a different view on the apparent ease of "self-authenticating" photographs.

My perspective based on personal experiences and interactions with other seasoned photo collectors, dealers, and conservators is that the more you know, the more you realize that it can be very challenging to authenticate and date vintage photographs.

I respectfully disagree with those who would imply that it is easy to authenticate photographs. We have all (experienced collectors, auction houses, TPGs) made mistakes in accurately describing, categorizing, and dating of photos.

Further, photos can have many substances and items added to them, taken off them, and they can be altered at different times and in many, many ways. It can be a challenge to verify the authenticity of a photo, or any document, in some cases.

IMHO, someone may be able to "relatively quickly" gain enough knowledge and skill to "self-authenticate" a typical $20-$75 photo in the current marketplace, and that might be okay. But prices are rising for quality photos and the market is growing. There is more incentive for crooks and frauds... and therefore more risk. Many newsphotos are into the hundreds and thousands of dollars... some even at ten's of thousands of dollars or more!

Anyway, yes people can authenticate their own photos... But I don't believe it is easy or simple. Just like becoming an expert in anything, you will need a sufficient amount of knowledge, experience, and skills, as well as proper tools and processes.

In any case, David creates excellent educational materials with information from which anyone interested in photography would benefit.