View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 05:09 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
As fast and viscous as the move lower in stock and bond prices have been I would imagine most that expect a significant correction in card prices would think that is what we would be seeing right now.

PWCC has 8,795 active listings and there is still a ton of money being spent on cards.

I get it most on here despise them but in order to see what is actually taking place with cards you have no choice but to watch their auctions. Whether anyone likes it or not they are still getting the lion share of the best cards on EBAY and I maintain the opinion they are more like a stock exchange than a dealer and I like to follow prices.

There is a wide range of outcomes that can come from this disaster. Business in this country can't stay closed for long as some are estimating without destroying the economy and I believe this will force us to get back to work faster. So far while this has hit all 50 states it is clearly a bigger issue in just a few and so hopefully regionally we see a faster acceleration of normalcy.

Time will tell how this plays out.

In terms of your last comment. Part of the story is fake news. The woman from GA is innocent and just as I proved on this board Joe Orlando was with his stock option exercise program some will believe it regardless because they simply want too.
Regarding PWCC sales, the proper way to track market direction is not number if items, or high profile item sale price. The way to see where we are headed would be YOY volume by auction. So what is total transaction volume March 2019 vs 2020. And considering we are really only two weeks into this, and the auction that just closed was 90 days in the works, I don’t think it is a good data point, or any data point since we don’t know YOY. In fact, as this thing expands I expect PWCC listings to increase as supply outstrips demand.

I am going to assume that cards will trend in the same direction all consumer spending is trending...way the fook down. I have a very hard time believing that equities, PM’s, discretionary purchases like cars and RV’s, soon RE , will all trend down, significantly, and card prices will hold. It would defy logic for that to happen.

I do expect shilling and all the shenanigans we are used to, to increase as the pinheads in the hobby try and keep the illusion of strong prices alive. But there is no way trillions evaporates from GDP and a fringe investment like sportscards doesn’t take a beating. First week in April is when SHTF and ten million people hit EI.

Again, hope I am wrong, my family is heavily impacted ( but fortunately work for a great company and will be ok).