View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Great, wrestling cards, 0.0016% of the hobby are going up. Mantle RC’s are selling well.

Neither of these are a good proxy for the overall hobby. Well maybe the mantle, but wrestling card collectors probably number in the hundreds so with all due respect who cares what an OC hogan sells for.

If you believe the PWCC index, the majority of cards have been relatively flat since 2016 and that was in the best of times - free money and full employment . No way we go into recession, millions lose their jobs, and the mid market/ overall card market holds up.

Guys like Gary V are catalysts in good times, but when you lose your job, or your 401k takes a 120k hit, you put a hold on your 56th Acuna or Soto PSA 10 “investment”. And that appears to be happening, guys on BO are reporting that some of these flagship cards are down 30-40%. Returns are increasing.

Personally I couldn’t care less what happens to my collection price wise. But I suspect to your point Dpeck, that most do, and I am predicting some panic selling. I mean look at PM’s- they are down when traditionally they provide a hedge against equities. The general consensus is that they are being used to cover calls, generate cash. We as a society are awash in debt, I would love to know the number of collectors that have built their collection with debt. Speculators are about to get wiped out.