View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 02:19 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I would have to disagree. There is a cost for the packaging, time to package the item and time to take it to the post office. Those all have value. It is not a 'postage charge', it is shipping and handling fee. Every seller I look at has it in their listings. I take that into account. Additionally, I have never had a seller who did not combine postage on multiple items. If I had an item I was shipping in a #10 business envelope and it cost less than a dollar I would probably not charge $3.00, but I would also not charge 55¢ either. It is fine to say that you do not charge for shipping. Ebay rewards sellers that do that. However, they are not selling an item for $7 that cost them $5. They would lose money all the time. I would suspect that many of them are pricing their items with a fair profit after fees and shipping costs.
In this scenario it's less about the cost of someone's shipping, time, and materials than about their lack of care. I buy hundreds of signed cards at SCN to round out sets and have no problem with PWE's if it's announced up front. I'm not buying the condition, I'm buying the signed card. It's honestly fair however, to expect anything over a $2 shipping charge to include at least a bubble mailer. If it's worth it a seller to charge $5-$6 for a single cheaper card for "their time and materials" sure - if I really want it I'll pay for it and have. But if you charge more than $2 for shipping and then out a PWE that's just cheap and lazy. If you are on eBay you're also going to open yourself up to dishonest people saying they never received the item.